Wednesday, August 8, 2012

God' Most Useful Tool

All these having gained approval through (emphasis mine) their faith did not receive what was promised, because god provided something better.....( being made perfect in Christ) ..Hebrews 11:39,40



As I sit with my Bible and a wonderfully delicious, first of the morning, cup of coffee, I am  meditating on today's Scripture passage in my devotional.  The "Purification of Our Faith" is the message; the passage is Hebrews 11:32-40.  And the theme is God's using adversity  to "refine or purify" us into Christ likeness.  As verse 34 says, " made strong from weakness".

Wow! This really spoke to me, as I struggle with the weakness of my physical body, and how my affliction is rapidly robbing me of the  ability to function like others with healthy bodies do, in the everyday world.
These verses talk about men and women of faith and what adversity and suffering they experienced, approved by God but suffering also.  And Why?  Because God has something better for them. His Perfect Son perfected within them.  For them to become Christ-like.  If you read the full passage seems like a tough road to travel.  And it was.

I am slowly, though not always happily, learning that adversity in the hand's of God, is one of His best tools for sculpting Christ-likeness with in us.  Chipping away the surrounding sin and selfishness we all are afflicted with refines us.  But we must be willing to go through the process. God  the Master sculptor of His creation,   knows exactly what each of His children need, "chiseled" away.

I realize more and more that what I humanly think I need is not what God KNOW's I need.  I now have a better understanding of what Scripture means, when it says God's ways are not our ways.  Who would willingly go through the adversity these saints did--and many today need to know this -- if they didn't understand that He is lovingly and carefully, sculpting us into His best work.

Thank you Father God that even if I do not understand how I need to be shaped.  You do.  May I be willing to accept Your work in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment