Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Listening That We May Live


Then a voice came out of the cloud saying, "This is My Son, My Chosen One, listen to Him." ....
 [Luke 9:35]

I do not know about you, but if I heard a voice coming out of a cloud saying anything, I would either stop to hear exactly what was being said, or would find myself so scared by whats happening, I would run the opposite direction in fright.

Reading  these words from Scripture, I tried imaging how God's voice might sound.  Was it loud and booming like a clap of thunder? Or did it sound soft and quiet like a gentle whisper?  To myself  I thought," it must be more like thunder, loud and booming", like nature when it roars.Yet this verse does not tell us how God sounded here, only what He said.

Does it say God spoke? Yes.  And tells us exactly what He said.  "Listen to My Son, My Chosen One". For those who say the Bible is hard to read and understand, this sounds pretty clear to me. Listen to His Son and that's what I've been leaning to do, as I continue to spend time in Gods Word each morning. Learning that God has been speaking to us since the time He created us... [Isaiah 55:3]. Learning, He desires to speak to me, His daughter, personally, if I let Him..

Over and over as I  read, I see the words "listen", "hear Me" "God says"; throughout Scripture  these definitely sounds like He God is speaking.and wants me to hear.  And as I read His words, I am trying diligently to listen to what It says.  Why?  Because His words are life!... "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edge sword....able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. [Heb. 4:11] Scripture tell's me how to live the way God planned for me to.  It tells me, He created me and knows me better than anyone else.  His Words tell me He loves me and wants the best for me. So I try to listen with open "ears" and an open heart, because in my heart I know this is true.

 In the Old Testament ,God spoke His commandments through Moses. Using them to tell His people how they should live, on a day to day, basis with Him and why they should do so.We know these words as the "Ten Commandments". The Law of the the Old Covenant ...[Deut. 6]

In the New Testament, Jesus says He came to speak a new covenant a new Way.  What the Law was unable to do, help us to know and do the Will of God, He did by living His life in obedience to His Father. He brought to us the new covenant of Gods love & grace and through His life, showed us how we should live in this new way.  Jesus, the Son of God, is our example, of the new life we can have when we have a personal relationship with Him. A life of becoming like Christ.

The Word says, when we know the Son, we know the Father....only the Son has seen the Father...He, Jesus explains the Father. [John1:18]  That is why we are to listen.  Jesus brings new life. True life! Free life!

The words of the Gospels tells us, He, Jesus, came and died, that we may have life and have it abundantly "....[John10:10].
 Isn't that what we all want? An abundant life?  Not just financial wealth, which is what most of us think of when we think of abundant living, but a life filled with contentment, peace, and joy which we all desire in our hearts, God given desires which we all have.  Desires that can only be fulfilled in having a personal, intimate relationship with the Lover of our souls, Jesus Christ.  And not just fulfilled desires, but a new Life!  Life the way God  intended for us before sin entered the world. God has a purpose and a plan for every life He created. Every life!  We only have to be listening to what He says to learn what that life is and how to live it..."My sheep hear My voice... and they follow Me "[John 10:27].

My challenge to both myself and those of you reading my blog, is to spend time reading in the Word everyday. Reading the Gospels---Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, which tell all about Jesus, who He is, how He wants to help us live,. Reading the Psalms and Proverbs full of insight and wisdom.  Gods Word most importantly tells us how much He loves us; so much He was willing to die in our place for our sins, that we might truly have life. What love! The whole Bible is a love letter from God to His children.

Read God's word for yourself. Actively listen (seek)  what Jesus has to say to you.  Ask yourself, "what do I hear Hims saying"?  If you are a child of God He has promised to reveal what He wants us to know. Reading Scripture is how we learn to Know God.  It is where we can find Him and the perfect plan He has for our life.

Oh Lord how little any of us truly understand this precious, precious gift only You have given us. Thank You that You promise to be with us and lead us in Your paths of righteousness.  Show us what real living is, walking with You daily Lord.  May all of us have "ears to hear and eyes to see" the life You offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment