Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Hurried Sickness????

Be still and know that I am God;  I will be exalted....Psalms 46:10

Stillness.  A word today that has little meaning in most of our lives.  Even when we are trying to "be still" we are often still in motion.  We hurry to get up in the mornings, to hurry off in speeding cars to get kids to school or arrive on time at jobs.  We hurry through our work day to complete all that needs to be done, so we can go on to the next thing.  Hurry!  Hurry! Hurry!  And then the next thing most of us know, we have to slow down because we are sick, or extremely tired, or both sick and tired.  A perfect definition for "hurried sickness,"  rush, rush, rush, until we are forced to slow down   Hurried sickness is a term I came across sometime back reading a medical article , which stated that this term was actually being considered by professionals to cover some stress related illness's most likely resulting from the business of today's world where people are caring less and less for their health needs.  For most of us we are hurried sick--could even say worried sick.

Scripture defines "still" in the Bible as being motionless, quiet.  How many of us can say we have very many or even any moments of motionlessness in our daily lives, except when we are sleeping?  But even then are we motionless? Sometimes, many times not. Those who do not sleep well at night will understand.
And quiet...that's a concept our world of voices, noise, audible sounds and modern day technology have almost eliminated. Where does any one find quiet. Recently I found a TV in the rest room I used.  At one time that at least might have been a few moments of quiet for some. Not to say privacy!

Why talk about  "being still"?   Because the Bible tells us this is how we will know God.  We will not know Him if we can not be still, listening with our hearts and minds to hear what He has to say. Many question if there is a God and that He speaks to man.  Oh yes my friend there is a God and He speaks to all who come to Him with a heart to hear what He has to say.  He speaks to us through His marvelous Word the Bible and through the knowledge of His Son.   Scripture tells us  Jesus has the power to speak to the wind and seas and calm them.  He has power and the desire to do the same for us.  But Scripture also tells us He doesn't speak in the whirlwind but n the soft sweet voice that speaks to our hearts.   But we have to seek Him to do so. Seek involves stillness.  Taking time each day to read what God has to say. And over and over I hear more and more people saying, I don't  have time to sit motionless for a few minutes and read my Bible.  Or take some time out from my busy hurried day to spend in prayer.  I have so much to do.
And for what.  To accomplish the methods of acquiring the things of this world.  Power, pride, success, material things.  Bigger and Better?
So we hurry  and scurry and move, and do, to accomplish something that we see, or feel is important.  What may then happen to us is the crash of sickness or just not "feeling" well which falls upon us.  We "catch" some bug with our name on it, and we still continue to keep doing, because in our minds if we do not, it won't get done.  Hurried Sickness is an almost, all or nothing "disease of our day".  We keep giving our all, emotionally, and physically, until we run out, and then spend many days trying to recover.
Gods created His children for having times of stillness and moments of refreshing.  He desires to share these with us.  Scripture speaks of Jesus telling His disciples to came away to a secluded place and be with Him.

I am writing about this because I myself have experienced this same hurried sickness, for most of my adult life.  I like so many others operated on the principles of this world emphasis and not on what the Word of God said.  Have I paid a price for this?  Most definitely.  Because my dear friend what I have learned is that Gods Word is Truth, whether we choose to believe it or not does not change it.
If God says this is what will happen if we do this, that is what will happen, sometime, somewhere, somehow.  We know it as the principle of "sowing and reaping".

When I wasn't "still", before God, I did what I thought was right.  I believed you could, and should, continue pushing yourself though every sick, tired day.  Now the price is a body that won't let me push "ahead" or anywhere else for that matter, without help.  Sickness has forced me to learn to be still whether I want to or not.

And I am here to tell you where the help comes from when you find  that this may be a problem you share with me.  When I have exhausted all the assurances  of this world,  all the, "I can do it myself"
times and find I can not push on myself,  the One who command the wind to be still and the seas to be calm can still the "winds" of my world and calm the storms of life that blow against me.  It is in the stillness of these times He asks me to sit quietly and listen to what He says to me through His Word.  He gives me hope and joy, love and peace, because I can hear His soft sweet voice speaking just to me.  Jesus Christ is the most loving person that ever walk this earth.  He loves with a love that no one else can give and I am so grateful that He chose me to lavish His love upon.

Being still with Him each day has become my life's sustaining force.  I could not live without it,  would not live with Him.    And all it took was for me to finally be still motionless in my struggling with the toils of this life and He came and met me right there where I cried out to Him in my need.  Will He only do this for me?  Is there something special about me.  No!  He will and wants to meet all His creations in the same way.  Every created being.  You my friend no matter who you are.  His love and His power are infinite and yet as available as the soft whisper He offers them in.  Just be still and Know Him.  He wants you too!

Be still and know that I am God...Psalms  46:10  ...and Jesus got up and rebuked the wind and the sea,"Hush, be still." And the wind died down and it became perfectly calm...Mark 4:39

Lord You are everything I have ever hoped for, longed for, or desired to want to know in this world.  Your love and guidance are the only thing that brings wellness to those of us who experience Your healing love.  May someone else reading these words, be spurred to take time that is totally focused on seeking You; on quietly reading Your Word because they want to know You and this love of which I share.  I know You will meet with them, just as you have with me so many times, speaking to me in the stillness with the soft voice filled with love.  Thank You Precious Lord for such a love that is from everlasting to everlasting

 

No comments:

Post a Comment