Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Obedience...Why?

Although He existed in the form of God....He (Jesus) emptied Himself taking on the form of a bond-servant...as a man He humbled Himself by becoming obedient ...even to death on the cross.

Obedience to the Word of God can appear very difficult, even at times down right impossible.  Yet obedience in the difficult times is one a believers greatest witnesses to those who don't know Jesus.  Believing Gods promises when we are in the midst of trials and suffering is the proof of obedience. I show the faith of those who know Him as the loving Father He is. God never asks us to do any thing that is not for our best.  He only wants what's good for us.  As impossible as it seems when we praise Him for His presence in our suffering, it releases His Spiritual power to bring help to us in our time of need. It is choosing to obey what He has told us in Scripture and trusting Him to handle the consequences.

One of the most impossibly hard principles God has asked of those who follow Him is to forgive someone else who has hurt or wronged us.  The world tells us when someone wrongs you, get even, pay them back.   Gods words says, " forgive and you will be forgiven...Matt.6:12  Why? because God has forgiven us so much for our sins, we must forgive those who sin against us.  Hard! Very hard, but not impossible with Gods help.

Forgiveness, real forgiveness comes only from the power of our Lord Jesus Christ.  He exemplified true forgiveness when He forgave those who were crucifying Him, literally torturing Him as He hung on the cross.  Could I forgive someone who was taking my very life?  I pray I never have to find out.  It is hard enough for me as it is, to forgive someone who has wounded me emotionally.

Yet as I come to know my Savior and God His Father in a deeper understanding from studying Scripture, I am learning their ways are always right, perfectly fitted for me, their beloved child.  I have learned that Gods request for me to forgive another is not for the benefit of the one who hurt me, but for my benefit.  His Word teaches me anger, resentment, and bitterness poison our souls and hurts us worse than the offences committed against us.  Scripture has much to say about forgiveness and I have spoken a lot about it as an example of why its important to obey what Gods Word tells us.

Jesus was obedient to the Father whom He loved above all else.  He was Gods Son and He learned obedience, so why would I not understand that I need to learn it also.  Personally I am, and it's tough,
but the peace it brings me deep with in and the joy of my relationship with Jesus close beside me is worth every moment.  The Lord love is for all.  No one is exempt, even the worst of sinners.  Does this mean that someone can deliberately cause you harm and not have consequences.  No God is a just and righteous God, and He will judge the sins we all have committed.  As believers in Christ  atoning work on the cross, we are forgiven our sins, so we become children of God, even though that may be hard to believe.

So God asks us, commands us actually,to forgive others because He has forgive us so much.  Our forgiveness cost the life of His Son. That much!

Why do we forgive?  Because we are forgiven.  And when we obey what Gods says the benefits and rewards are greater than anything we can comprehend unless we experience them personally Obeying Gods Word brings blessings,  the Bible tells us so, "Blessed is the one who hears the Word of God and does it."

The earthly rewards for obedience are peace, joy and contentment within our hearts and souls. will also be eternal rewards for those who trust and obey and follow their Lord's example.  Heaven awaits those who believe Jesus died for us and has given us eternal life.  I know that rewards are being stored up for me in the heavenly realms and when I arrive I will know what they are.  So why obey?  Because Jesus obeyed  His Father in all things. And He is my example to live by.  Yes the rewards are apart of the blessing, but a personal relationship with God the Creator is a far more valuable reward.

Thank You so much Lord for the example You gave us in Your life of obedience while You lived here among Your creation.  You were the most perfect  man to walk the face of the earth and You learned how to obey.  May each of us who love You with all our hearts, souls, and minds follow You in such obedience as we hear Your voice speaking to us.  If You could die for me, even while I was a sinner, I can forgiven those who sin against me through Your perfect love.  Praise You Name! 

No comments:

Post a Comment